Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The County Fair, Marking Summer's End

Yesterday evening my husband and I took our grandson to the Hampshire County Fair. Of course he rode on every ride that he could and played every game that he was able to play. He ate popcorn and cotton candy. He had a blast. While I had a good time watching my grandson have fun being there brought back wonderful memories.


When I was little my Dad always took me to the Prince William County Fair.








Back then there was no King's Dominion, no Busch Gardens, none of those places (unless your family could afford Disneyland which mine could not). It didn't matter though, the fair was plenty big and plenty fun. Of course I grew up but still, every year I went to the fair. When my son was born I always took him to the fair. It was something that he looked forward to every year, much as I did when I was a kid. We would always wait and go around 5 or 6 in the evening and ALWAYS on the last night. It seemed more fun that way. We would stay until the last light on the last ride was turned off and they started the tear down. Then we would slowly walk back to the car, look back and sigh. "Oh well, it's over for another year" we would say. Of course the bad thing about the fair is the fact that school was always just around the corner. When the Prince William County Fair was over well, so was the summer.


My son was much more of a rider than I was. When I was a kid my favorites were the Scrambler, Tilt-A-Whirl and the Ferris Wheel. While my son rode those his favorites leaned more towards the Kamikaze, the Zipper and the Round Up. You know, all those upside down rides that you couldn't PAY me to get on. Man, he would ride too. There was no stopping him. Off one and right on another one. The only reason he would take a break was to get some cotton candy, a caramel apple or some other "nutritious" snack. That was okay though, he had a great time...and I had a great time just watching him, as I did with my grandson.


Nowadays my favorite ride is the "sit on the bench and rest ride". I always enjoy looking at the exhibits and the animals but after that I'm ready for a funnel cake and a seat. It's not the same as it was when I was a kid (but what is?) however I recommend that everyone who lives remotely close to a place that holds a county fair go and take it in. It's a great time and it makes for great memories. My son (who is all grown up now) and I still talk about the fair and it always makes us feel happy. After all, what's more important than that?


Enchanted Jewelry & Collectibles...Dedicated To The Gypsy That Remains...

2 comments:

  1. Brings back some old memories of when I took my kids to the fair's. And when as a small girl I went to the local carnival's. How much fun it was and noting like Disney World or Bush Gardens. But still just as fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attending the LA County Fair is a favorite childhood memory of mine. Thank you for this great reminder!
    MCatherine

    ReplyDelete