Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Fun Just Never Seems To End

Apparently I am not geared towards home ownership. I guess I have rented too long and I have gotten used to calling the landlord when something breaks so they can send the maintenance people over to fix whatever the problem is. The biggest concern I ever had regarding home repairs was to make sure none of the dogs chewed on the maintenance people. That was fine with me, I could handle that. I'm proud to say that I never had a dog try to eat the maintenance personnel. I have a spotless record in that regard. My record with do it yourself home repair is not quite as successful. For those of you that follow my ramblings here you might remember the fiasco with the air conditioner and the stink bugs. We recovered from that and...just when we thought it was safe to go back into the water...Jaws appeared again.


The problem started a few days ago when I noticed that the metal ring around the drain in the bathtub had come loose. I promptly showed it to my husband and asked him to glue it back into place (glue, putty, caulking...whatever he needed to use). He shot me a look like my face had gone green and said "Yeah, okay". I asked him very nicely if he needed me to go into town and purchase some stuff to glue it back into place. He said "No, we will go tomorrow. You don't know what to look for". I told him that any idiot could walk into a hardware store and ask for some glue (or whatever he needed). He then proceeded to inform me that this was not a simple "glue it back in" job and that the whole thing would have to be replaced. I asked him "What whole thing?". He just shook his head and said "Tomorrow, I'll take care of it tomorrow".


Well, two days went by and today we finally went to the hardware store. He bought some "kit", which included a new ring thingy and some plastic pipes (or what looked like pipes). When we got home I told him that I didn't understand why he bought all that stuff in this kit, all we needed was the ring thingy. He said nothing other than he would take care of it. He proceeded to change into some work overalls. When I asked him what in the Sam Hill he was doing that for he explained to me that since we live in a trailer home he would have to crawl underneath the trailer and take off the connections for the bathtub drain. Whatever...I'm going to eat lunch. Next thing I know the skirting is off the trailer and he is underneath hollering for me. He couldn't find the right connections. I had to run a tape measure down the drain hole (I didn't realize the pipe moved like that until I looked at it). He found the connections and took them off, leaving a gaping hole in the bathtub where the drain used to be. At this point I was sure a snake was going to come crawling through the dang thing as I firmly believe that we have a nest of them underneath the trailer (along with other forms of wildlife that I am terrified of). Now, you know that not a darn thing that we bought in this kit fit the connections...yeah, what a surprise. Back to the store we go to buy another kit. We get home, half of that kit doesn't fit either. My husband said he refused to go buy anything else, he would MAKE it fit.


To make a long story short he did finally get the dumb thing fixed. In the process he used his power drill, a hacksaw, some pliers and a HUGE adjustable wrench. He also went through numerous curse words, threw a number of things and drank a 6 pack of beer. He's sore from crawling around underneath the trailer and hitting his head on the axle. I'm sore from bending over the tub on my sore knees forever holding the top piece while he tried to attach it and make it work. It still leaks a small bit but I don't care. I took a shower tonight but in the morning I am filling up that tub with the hottest water that I can stand and soaking in a good hot bath...which I haven't been able to do since the blasted thing broke a few days ago. I can only hope that this is the end of the home repairs for a while...I don't know if I can take any more of them. If not, well, my car runs good...maybe I can just live in that for a while. And yes...I'm still looking for rogue snakes in the house.


Enchanted Jewelry & Collectibles...Dedicated To The Gypsy That Remains

No comments:

Post a Comment