Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011, A Day For Me To Truly Celebrate

I have many, many Thanksgiving memories. I remember one Thanksgiving when I was a kid we had 6 inches of snow on the ground which, for the area we lived in, was unusual. I remember one Thanksgiving when I was a teenager and I was allowed to invite my current boyfriend to have Thanksgiving dinner with us. I felt like I was an adult that year, beginning an adult life. Of course that boy was history before Christmas but it was still special. I remember the first time that I actually cooked the Thanksgiving dinner. That year we had about fifteen people over...WOW!! Everybody ate, no one got sick...it was all good.


Of course some of my best Thanksgiving memories are the ones with my son. I was fortunate in that I always worked a job where I had a four day weekend for Thanksgiving so we always held that weekend as special for both of us. I always cook the same thing for Thanksgiving, the same thing that my Mom always cooked. It's pretty traditional...turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans (no, not the casserole), rolls and homemade pumpkin pies with Cool Whip. I will be cooking that again this year however, my son will not be here with me. Believe it or not, that is what I am thankful for.


You see, for reasons of illness, my son has been estranged from his father for a good number of years. About a month ago I finally found a phone number for my son to call. He has many brothers and sisters on his father's side of the family and, along with his father, they have embraced my son into the family. As we speak he is on his way from Jersey to Virginia to spend Thanksgiving with his father and also his brothers and sisters. It's really a long story between then and now but suffice it to say that I am so thankful that my son was able to reach out to his family and that they embraced him into the family. Family is so important and the family on my side is very small, most of them are gone now. Now my son can know the true meaning of family love. He knows that I love him, now he can know that many people love him as well. So this year I am so very grateful and thankful for now I know that Adam will never be without family.


Enchanted Jewelry & Collectibles...Dedicated To The Gypsy That Remains

No comments:

Post a Comment